Tuesday, February 2, 2010

little known fact



the best snow for XC skate skiing in the USA falls not in colorado, nor utah, nor the san juans. it falls in the midwest.

for XC skatin', ya don't want pow. ya want some moisture. ya want some silkiness. and ya even want a little transitoned icy stuff tilled in there once in while. makes for a firmer, faster, perfect skate deck.

not only that, but the terrain is better, too. rolling, winding, rollicking - as opposed to crab-ass sideways on the side of gigantic goddam mountain.

take tonite . . . . a layer of ginzu-ized pulzerized icy speed, mixed together with an inch and a half of new-fallen small-sized flake snow and packed to gentle firmess, with a layer of another 1/2 inch of pure silk on top. too, too sweet. better than the mountains, indeed - we should groove on that.

3 comments:

The Shed Master said...

DOOD! I'm coming up there with the Bontrager so I can ride those trails!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!

jwm said...

I can appreciate that you can afford a summer sport AND a winter sport and all.. but

I want my roads back. well, mostly just daylight.

-jwm

velodan said...

I know I had a REALLY nice ski last night fast and fun. Sat. I'm going to ski and shoot for the 1st time. Better wear a vest if you are any where neat McMiller.
I hope there is snow untill it melts. Then dry roads I might have some fittness this year.