Wednesday, March 11, 2009

i am evidently the dan quayle of singlespeeders



let me make this clear: i know cat 1's, i have ridden with cat 1's, some cat 1's are friends of mine.

I am no cat 1.


yet, according to my spiffy new WORS handbook, somehow in order to race the newly renamed comp SS class i am going to first convince usa cycling to issue my beyond sorry ass a cat 1 license. uhhhhhhhh, yeah. i have long thought usa cycling to be composed of largely incompetent yayhoo's ( don E excepted, naturally . . . ), but giving me a cat 1 license has got to be beyond even their level of ridiculousness. it is admittedly an odd habit i enjoy - rolling around at the tail end of the comp SS field, getting slaughtered like a goat at a low-rent devil-worship service in some abandoned stone quarry every race - but it works for me. what am i supposed to put on my race/license resume ???

" well, uhhh, most of the time . . . . . . OK some of the time . . . i can keep from getting lapped by jesse till the last lap or so" ????

somehow i think that's just not gonna cut it. dang.

12 comments:

Mad Trix said...

The cats that decide the cats decided I'm a "CAT 1". Whos kidding who? They won't let me downgrade either. Sweet.

The Shed Master said...

Quitcher cryin'!


I guess that also makes me a Cat 1 even though I'm more deserving of the Hor's Categorie designation. Or is that Hor's d'ovres?

Ronsta, said...

But Tim, don'tcha understand, big brother USAC knows whats best for mountain biking! Sure, I splurged on the "Pro" upgrade because I could. Its not gonna make me any faster though.

IMO, I am NOT "Pro". The guys on top of the box at the end of the race are Pro, the guys racing in World Cups are Pro, I'm just a hack racing the State series. But someday I'll be able to tell my kids(scary thought) that I was "Pro" once. Don't we all feel better now ;)

jwm said...

the voice of newbie "if I keep at it, maybe I'll be fast enough to be in or at least near sport SS" says "stayouttacat2Byabigsandbagger".. or somesuch.

-jwm

velodan said...

you only need to be a cat 2 race comp. the old guys and SS above sport is open. I though that means you can get a one day lic. to race it. Or cat2 or cat1 annual.
Cat2 can still race sport or race comp. What ever they want. but for ranking the cat2 in comp get the 1st points.
As I see it nothing really changed.

T mon T said...

from the book: "" Pro, Category 1, Open & Junior X: (Men & Women, 15 & older) WORS highest level of competition. Either a International Pro or USA Cycling Mountain Category 1 annual license is required to register and to compete in this category. Winning time in this category will be approximately 100 minutes (course length of 25-32 miles dependent upon terrain & course conditions). Pro & Category 1 women as well as Junior X and all Open classes will race the WORS Comp distance, (one lap farther than Sportat the discretion of the director of that race). The race distance for Pro/Category 1, Open, & Junior X racers at WORS marathon events will be 37-44 miles. ""

seems to say 'open' needs a cat 1 license just like elite/pro/jr-X to me. maybe i'm readin it wrong ??

T mon T said...

PS dan. there is no comp SS anymore. it is Open SS now. hence, the need for a cat 1 license according to the above.

unless i'm reading it wrong.

Mountaingoat said...

It's all kind of a joke anyway. I can get a Pro card this year and god knows that ain't right.

I'm surprised Don is making the Open guys get a Cat 1. Seems counter productive. So any fast SS guys that show up for just a couple races and want to race SS open have to get a full time license? Looks like they just be racing Comp age instead.

Mountaingoat said...

Looks like Don just changed it.

Check the Wors board.

"Open classes are open to all with no specific license required (a one day USA Cycling license is available to compete in the Open classes)."

velodan said...

That what I saw and was trying to say.
What Goat said

T mon T said...

he changed it on the website just this AM based on this conversation. :)

it's still in the book.

The Shed Master said...

Books are Stoopid!!!

Damn, I've been itching to use that phrase all week.